Gosh, I almost forgot it’s St Patrick’s Day tomorrow and I haven’t posted the cookies I made. Not that they’re anything amazing. But following on with the theme of hand painting, I decided to paint most of the cookies that I hadn’t used the wet on wet technique.
I made a batch of the cookie dough minus the cardamom and orange rind, instead opting to use the new Flavacol I bought straight from the New World supermarket while in Hamilton. It was butterscotch.
I baked the cookies Saturday afternoon and whipped up royal icing, but I used Color Flow rather than Meringue Powder. And because I make assumption, I treated the quantity of Color Flow the same as I would Meringue Powder (but CF is about twice the strength going by the proportions of the powder to water).
I also was trying Sweet Hope Cookie’s (her name is Anita too) FrankenFrosting recipe. It is equal parts Royal Icing and Glaze. I’ve never made glaze before, well I guess I have, but for bread or loaves, never as a coverage of cookies I was going to decorate.
I used Wilton clear Vanilla and also Butter flavouring. It made a difference to the flavour, I guess it’s an improvement. But it’s still sweet.
The glaze is a lot looser, so I guess all up adding that to the double strength royal icing sort of evened things out. Mr Fussy said the icing is the same as normal, so has a crust but still soft.
Saturday night I flooded all the cookies. I used my new PME needle, it’s a bit thicker and it makes the job of gently swirling the icing to get it to move a little further out and to become a smoother edge much easier. Some cookies I decorated using the wet on wet technique, the rest would be left overnight to dry out completely, ready for painting.
I really wasn’t too sure what I was doing, and I was hoping for a more water coloured effect than I got. But I realised I was using normal food gel thinned with vodka and I should have been using my air brush colours (which is a thinner liquid).
It’s all about learning :)
I started with a plaque cookie and added the rainbow, but there was too much cookie left. I grabbed the Macbook (before it died) and Google searched pot of gold and used an image as a reference. All images are freehand, as if it needs to be pointed out.
Next came a hat which turned out pretty good, but I was using quite a bit of colour to get the shading, and it was starting to make the royal icing dissolve a little. In the end it looks a bit like felt. Not such a bad thing really.
I was starting to get the hang of it but was clean out of ideas. I had to keep doing Google searches to find something else new to draw. The last one I did was the scroll work with a shamrock. I would have liked to do something incorporating a Celtic design but I’m a long way from being that good. But practice will help :)
Happy St Patrick’s Day, for tomorrow.