I had a bit of the Crusty No Knead bread left over and had already ear marked it (in my mind) as French Toast for breakfast on Sunday. Mr Fussy would have his Honey Puffs as pre usual and my MIL had already headed to church. So it was just me.
The recipe is really basic and quick to pull together. The hardest thing is waiting around until the bread has soaked up all that loveliness.
French Toast for One
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbs Castor Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- Orange zest to suit your taste
- Knob of butter for frying
- Icing sugar to dust over
- Maple syrup for serving
- Garnish with fruit if you desire
- In the same dish you’ll soak the bread in, whisk together the milk, castor sugar, egg, vanilla essence and orange zest
- Leave the bread to soak 5-15 minutes, turning the bread once during this time
- Heat a fry pan (skillet if you’re American) to medium
- Add a little butter to the pan
- Place the bread in the pan and fry a couple of minutes each side – it will depend on the heat of the fry pan/element
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar, a splash of maple syrup and fruit if desired
I cannot quite work out why my bananas are so bright yellow. I think I should have fried them before adding the maple syrup to the pan.
It tasted great though, and I loved the addition of the cranberries from the Crusty bread.