In preparation for a number of upcoming cakes I took advantage for the Craftsy call and enrolled for 3 new classes. I still have classes I’ve not yet had time to watch.
I started by watching the Monogram class by Nicolas Lodge. Nicolas is a Pastry Chef trained in the UK but lives in the US. I reckon in the first 5 minutes I learnt about 5 valuable lessons and it was like a light bulb went on.
I’ve mentioned numerous times the awful cratering problem with royal icing. What I hadn’t really thought about was colours have glycerine in them and that softens the royal icing and also meringue powder only has about (I can’t recall exactly) 35% egg white and is not as strong to use as raw/pasteurised/egg albumen.
I looked on fascinated with putting your royal icing out onto the work surface and using a small spatula to paddle the air bubbles out and to smoosh any bit of icing sugar that hasn’t dissolved properly. Why on earth hadn’t I thought of doing that before?
Then it was onto using parchment cones and making sure you cut the end off to allow for half of the piping tip to seat into the end to ensure there’s no “leakage” between the paper and cone, and to write the tip number on the parchment cone so that you can tell what you’re using.
Those five minutes were priceless. And last night I put all of it into action and I’m one happy camper with how things turned out. I will say that I still put a bit of tape around the cone and tip because I wanted to be doubly sure.
I also tried out a new cookie sugar recipe. I often look at picture of naked cookies and wonder if the author has used some really clever photoshopping/filter to make their cookies look so pale. I don’t know what it appeals to me but it does. Anyway having mucked up my recipe last week I decided I’d give another recipe a shot (it wasn’t the recipe’s fault you understand, I made a boo-boo). This time I turned to Sweet SugarBelle and whipped up her recipe Friday night. The recipe says you don’t need to chill the dough but I wanted to have it ready for baking Saturday and with a long list of things I wanted to achieve this weekend I was making this Friday. I also only added 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
What I will say is the dough cut beautifully. I roll my dough between two pieces of waxed paper and I do it immediately. I then chill the dough already rolled out. The previous weekend I had an epiphany after I’d completing cutting the cookies out. I usually have to use my offset spatula to prize the cut cookie dough from the bottom piece of waxed paper and it can get a bit of a drag. I realised that I could peel back the top layer, place it back over the top, flip the whole thing so the bottom is not the top, peel back the now top piece of waxed paper and the dough would now come away cleanly from the waxed paper without the aid of any other kitchen implement. Yay, another win for me.
The cookies did spread a bit, but I expected the would. They were lighter than my usual batch, and I noticed any pointy bit on the cookie of course baked quicker and therefore darkened a bit more. After the cookies had cooled I packed them up into a Tupperware container between layers of paper towel and as expected, this morning when I checked there’s splotches on the paper towel from butter leaking. It something that seems to happen no matter what recipe you use. I wasn’t expecting it would be different with this recipe. No worse, no better. Now the cookies are tucked up into the freezer and will be decorated next weekend ready for Mum’s birthday afternoon tea on Sunday.
What else did I do? Ahh yes. While in the States I had a couple of Amazon orders delivered to the place we were staying at in San Francisco. One of those orders happened to be a bit stack of water paper. It seems to be quite difficult to find in NZ, but I will say that it’s becoming more popular and more and more of the cake stores are now selling it, though usually in packs of 5, or singularly. I bought a massive stack of 100 (I think). Friday I night I decided it was high time I tried out some of the craft punches I had. When I say some, I mean the two I have. The wafer paper cut so nicely. I was especially thrilled at how well the patterns looked. Tonight I tried dusting them to see how well the paper would take to dusts. It seems it’s ok, but it’s fairly faint, not that they are strong colours, each was a pearl/lustre.
It’s been like a little voyage of discovery this weekend. I’ve done so much, I mean I was on the go all day yesterday doing all sorts of things for next weekend and just getting a few things in my head sorted so that I know what does and doesn’t work for cakes I’m planning. Including covering two dummy cakes. My word I’m out of practice rolling fondant. This morning I’ve woken up feeling very sore. My arms are heavy! I’ve come to the conclusion that Bakels fondant is so much harder to roll than Satin Ice. On that note I’ve bought several 1kg pails of Satin Ice fondant for when it comes time to do Jasmine and Sam’s wedding cake.
So much more has happened but I can’t share all of it because some of it relates to Mum’s birthday cake and I want to keep that until next weekend. And in case you’re thing has gone swimmingly well for me, I will admit to making a caramel syrup where the recipe said not to let the sugar burn, but I did. It was taking forever to reach the correct temperature that I turned my back for a few seconds too long and it was all over. All sorted though, a second batch was made and it worked out in the end.
Now, if only I could find enough time in the weekend to watch all those Craftsy classes I’m enrolled for.